Assisting Families With Immigration Law Concerns

Individuals who are U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents can apply for their close family members, which include children, spouses or parents, to become legal residents of the United States either through a consulate abroad or, in some cases, right here in the United States. (Citizens of the U.S. may also request to have their brothers or sisters join them here, but this option is not available to legal permanent residents.)

At Berke Law Offices, Inc., we have helped thousands of families be reunited here in California. Our lawyers respect how important family is to you, and we will do everything we can to guide you through this process, allowing you to get things right the first time. We want this to be as easy and stress-free as possible for you.

How We Help

The process of obtaining permission to enter the U.S. depends on several different factors, and we will analyze your situation to determine the visa or other mechanism that is necessary for your specific case.

For example, spouses of U.S. citizens and parents of citizens over the age of 21 are considered "immediate relatives" and have immediate access to an immigrant visa. All other relations are subject to numerical visa caps and have to wait for a visa to become available. Some countries have unusually long waits, specifically India, Mexico, China and the Philippines. The wait for a visa can range from a year or two to over 20 years.

If an immigrant visa petition is approved, the alien relative must apply for either admission to the United States or adjustment of status if he or she is already in the United States. Aliens who are in the United States without permission cannot adjust their statuses inside the United States unless they have had either a family petition or labor certification on file before April 30, 2001.

Spouses of U.S. citizens who entered the country legally may adjust their status in the United States even if they overstayed their lawful admission. Aliens who have been in the United States without permission must apply for a special waiver before leaving the United States, or they may find themselves barred from re-entering the United States for 10 years, and in some cases, permanently.

It can be very challenging to know what applies to your specific situation. You may be concerned about what will happen if you take action to have your family join you. Before you start any immigration law proceedings, meet with our attorneys to learn what you need to do to accomplish your specific objectives.

Find Out Your Options

To meet with our experienced team, call our Canoga Park office at 818-647-1002 or send us an email to find a time that works for you. Even if other firms have turned your case down, do not be afraid to call to see what we can do to help.