Berke Law Offices, Inc.
Schedule Your Consultation
Call 818-647-1002

Continue building a life with your spouse

Life just doesn’t feel right when loved ones live far away. It’s equally disheartening when threats against your family disrupt everything else. If you are a U.S. citizen or green card holder, there is hope for a brighter future. A spousal visa could be the answer to this complex problem.

What is a spousal visa?

A spousal visa allows a U.S. citizen to sponsor their foreign spouse to come to the U.S. This is also known as a marriage visa. This type of visa permits California residents to extend legal permanent resident status to spouses living in different countries. You must either be a U.S. citizen or a green card holder to sponsor your non-citizen spouse. Other factors affect eligibility, including:

  • You and your spouse must have been physically together at the marriage ceremony.
  • Your non-citizen spouse did not marry to avoid immigration laws.
  • You did not get your green card through a previous marriage.

Spousal visa process

The petitioning process for a spousal visa can take up to a year or longer. Non-citizen spouses can qualify for this visa whether they are on U.S. soil or overseas. Sometimes, non-citizen spouses may also bring their children in the U.S.

Only you can apply for the spousal visa, not your spouse. You will first need to submit Form I-130 with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. After that, your spouse will receive instructions on how to continue with the process. Most likely, your spouse will have an interview with immigration officials and prove the marriage is genuine.

The whole process could take about a year, but this is a rough estimate. Time averages are constantly changing due to internal and external factors. You can check on the status of your spousal visa petition by visiting the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website. While there is a standard fee, there may be additional fees if your spouse is already in the U.S.

Understandably, you want to reunite with your family as soon as possible. It’s paramount that the spousal visa process goes smoothly, since your loved ones depend on it. Be sure to seek legal assistance when you have questions or concerns about bringing your family home.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Berke Law Offices, Inc.

Office Location:

Berke Law Offices, Inc.
21911 Sherman Way
Canoga Park, CA 91303

Phone: 818-647-1002
Phone: 818-647-1002
Canoga Park Law Office Map